Best Entry Rug For Hardwood Floor In 2020 – Top Picks & Complete Buyer’s Guide
Entry rugs are an excellent addition to any home, not only can they add a depth of style and elegance to your hallway and reception area, they also protect your hardwood floors from scuffs and scratches, especially in high traffic areas. If you are unsure of what type of rug to buy for your home or what style options you have, don’t worry, we have you covered. We have tried, tested and reviewed the best entry rugs for hardwood flooring in 2020 to make sure that you can select the best product for your home.
Table of Contents
- Quick Compare - Top Entry Rug
- 7 Best Entry Rug For Hardwood Floor Reviews
- 1. Safavieh’s Bohemian Chic Madison Entry Mat
- 2. Gorilla Grip Original Indoor Durable Chenille Rug Doormat for Entry, Back Door and High Traffic Areas
- 3. Indoor Doormat Super Absorbs Mud Mat For Front Door Inside Floor Dirt Trapper Mats Cotton Entrance Rug
- 4. Indoor Doormat, Non Slip Absorbent Resist Dirt Entrance Rug, 32”x48” Large Size Machine Washable Low-Profile Inside Floor Door Mat
- 5. WaterHog Fashion Commercial-Grade Entrance Mat
- 6. Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non Slip Rug Pad Safe for Hardwood Floors and All Surfaces
- 7. Bungalow Flooring Waterhog Indoor/Outdoor Doormat
- Considerations to make before you buy
- Final Thoughts
Quick Compare - Top Entry Rug
Safavieh’s Bohemian Chic Madison Entry Mat
72 x 27 x 0.4
Gorilla Grip Original Indoor Durable Chenille Rug Doormat for Entry, Back Door and High Traffic Areas
13.1 x 12 x 6
Indoor Doormat Super Absorbs Mud Mat For Front Door Inside Floor Dirt Trapper Mats Cotton Entrance Rug
35.2 x 23.5 x 0.2
Indoor Doormat, Non Slip Absorbent Resist Dirt Entrance Rug
15.8 x 12.4 x 2.6
WaterHog Fashion Commercial-Grade Entrance Mat
24.8 x 5.7 x 5.5
Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non Slip Rug Pad Safe for Hardwood Floors
72 x 48 x 0.2
Bungalow Flooring Waterhog Indoor/Outdoor Doormat
60 x 35 x 0.2
7 Best Entry Rug For Hardwood Floor Reviews
1. Safavieh’s Bohemian Chic Madison Entry Mat
The Safavieh Madison collection comes in a range of beautiful bohemian designs, but they all retain the same design fundamentals to give you an excellent entry rug for your hardwood floor. The Safavieh range have been designed to be liveable and to give you total ease of use, the lack of shedding makes sure that you don’t have to spend your time consistently hoovering and picking up fibres.
It is always a risk purchasing rugs for entry halls as you want to make sure that there is enough clearance between the door and the rug. Safavieh have made sure that this isn’t an issue by designing their range to a maximum height of .375 inches, this way you can be sure that there is enough clearance to limit damaging the rug and your door.
Rugs can be difficult to clean, especially if they are dense and fibrous, Safavieh have created their products with everyday living in mind and have made sure that you won’t be having to worry about cleaning them. All of their products come with stain repellent technology to make sure they are easy to clean. Due to the fibre construction, hair and dander also struggle to stick to it, making it allergen friendly.
- An array of contemporary and classic designs to add elegance to any hallway
- Ideal for a busy home as all rugs have stain repellent technology
- Low fibre profile to allow for door clearance
- Durable design results in a product that doesn’t shed
- Destressed appearance to give an on-trend edge
- Due to the manner in which the rug is packaged, it may take a while to flatten out
- If you don’t have any grip pads, the rug may slip on hardwood
2. Gorilla Grip Original Indoor Durable Chenille Rug Doormat for Entry, Back Door and High Traffic Areas
The gorilla grip rug has been designed to hold on to your hardwood flooring and not move. In a high activity household that is full of pets and children; this is excellent as it will limit any accidental slips and trips. Whilst the design aspects of the rug are pretty basic, it takes a function over form approach, which results in a durable, versatile and long-lasting rug.
Unlike other rugs the gorilla rug loves dirt, the top layer is exceptionally absorbent, which means you can clean your muddy boots and shoes off and not move dirt into the rest of your home. If you treated other rugs in this manner you may find that they become mouldy and sodden, but the gorilla rug is fully machine washable and can even go in a tumble dryer, keeping it fresh and clean.
If you are looking for an entry rug, more often than not they have to be exceptionally low profile and you offset this against a nice feeling rug. The gorilla rug feels amazing on bare feet and still retains its low profile, resulting in a comfortable and functional product.
- Premium construction gives you a rug that is low profile but exceptionally comfortable on the feet.
- The gorilla rug can absorb mud and water, making sure you don’t get the rest of your hallway dirty.
- Easy to clean, simply throw it in the washing machine and tumble dryer
- Doesn’t slip on hardwood flooring due to under mat rubber construction
- Low profile so it will easily fit under doors
- Make sure you wash the rug gently as a fast wash and spin can damage the construction
- You will need to wash it regularly if the rug is getting consistently wet as it may damage the hardwood floor
3. Indoor Doormat Super Absorbs Mud Mat For Front Door Inside Floor Dirt Trapper Mats Cotton Entrance Rug
The indoor doormat is an ideal addition to any home that has pets and children alike, especially in wetter climates. There is no need to try and dry your dogs paws off when you come in from a walk as the mat will absorb any and all moisture off them, keeping your hallway clean and fresh. There are limited design options, but the product is more about function than style.
If you are concerned about the indoor doormat slipping, don’t be. The latex backing makes sure that you can happily place it on even the most varnished of floors without it slipping and sliding. Whilst the latex backing is an excellent option in terms of no slips, it does result in a product that can become bogged down with dirt, however you can easily clean the indoor doormat, simply throw it into the washing machine to freshen it up!
The super absorbent nature of the fabric used in making the mat gives you a product that feels soft on your feet but isn’t so plush that it won’t fit under doors. This design consideration makes sure that the indoor doormat works in almost all homes without you fearing that it will become jammed and potentially stop you entering.
- High absorption capability
- Low profile so doors can open and close over it
- Non stick bottom so you don’t slip
- Machine washable and dryer safe on a low heat
- Plush premium feel
- Mud can damage the natural fibres
- The fibres shed a lot on the first wash
4. Indoor Doormat, Non Slip Absorbent Resist Dirt Entrance Rug, 32”x48” Large Size Machine Washable Low-Profile Inside Floor Door Mat
This particular indoor door mat features a solid rubber backing unlike other products we have reviewed. This design feature gives you a matt that doesn’t curl up or have rolling corners, even with extended use. The rubber backing can extend the life of the matt far past one that has a latex back. The low-profile results in a product that will easily fit under most doors so you can be confident that it won’t get stuck.
It has a large absorption capability, so you can be sure that even with the dampest of feet or paws that the indoor doormat will be able to absorb it. Unlike other products reviewed, this mat also has the capacity to remove dirt and grit without damaging the fibres, making it an exceptional addition to any home.
Whilst there are limited style options when it comes to this product, don’t let that deter you or put you off. It is more form over function and it performs its job exceptionally well. The indoor door mat can also be machine washed in order to keep dirt and grime out of your home and ensures that the mat can continue to its job.
- Rubber bottom makes sure that there is no slipping, even in high traffic areas of your home.
- Rubber is far more durable than latex bottoms and consistently performs over time
- Large absorption capability
- The mat will absorb grit, mud and dirt unlike other counterparts
- Machine Washable
- Limited design and colour options
- Shedding may occur after the first wash and dry
5. WaterHog Fashion Commercial-Grade Entrance Mat
The WaterHog comes with innovative design features that work to keep your home clean, dry and free from dirt and grit. The raised nubs make sure that any debris that falls off your shoes or pets paws as you walk in is captured below foot level, so it can’t be trodden into the rest of your home.
The construction of the mat gives you a product that is fast drying and won’t smell. More often than not, other mats can have a build up of mould and mildew, but due to the nubs that the waterhog uses, this doesn’t happen. The waterhog is also fade and stain resistant, so even if you leave it out on your doorstep in the sun you can be sure that the colour and design won’t fade.
I really like having the waterhog in my home, whilst it doesn’t feel as nice under foot as other products we have reviewed, its practicality makes you forget about this. You won’t have to be cleaning up after your children or pets when they come in dirty, as the waterhog captures all of it. You can also take solace in the fact that the waterhog won’t slip and slide across your hardwood flooring and it also won’t damage your floorboards.
- Certified non slip bottom
- Rubber reinforcement for high traffic areas
- Damn design keeps water and dirt in the mat
- Doesn’t fade in the sun and isn’t affected by ice
- Fast drying and doesn’t smell
- Can be difficult to wash
- Due to the design nubs, it can be tough to vacuum
6. Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non Slip Rug Pad Safe for Hardwood Floors and All Surfaces
If you have a rug that you want to use on your hardwood floor but don’t for fear of it slipping, then the Mohawk felt and latex rug pad is a good choice. It isn’t a rug, but rather a none slip pad that can go under your rug to make it safe.
The ¼ thickness of the rug pad gives you a luxurious feeling under foot and you can be safe in the knowledge that the rug won’t be moving. Unfortunately, the pad isn’t low profile enough to be able to give you enough clearance under doors, but it means you can finally use that rug as a centre piece without fear of it moving underfoot.
There are no sizing or shape limits to the mohawk, it is exceptionally easy to cut to make sure it fits your rug and it ready to go straight away. The brown rubber backing makes sure that the product is long lasting and can even increase the life of your rug and your flooring in high traffic areas.
- Can be cut to size
- Easy to install and use straight away
- Increases the life span of your rug and your flooring
- Reduces trip hazards
- Reduces the chances of your rug slipping
- Easy to clean
- It isn’t low profile enough to be able to fit under doors
- It may take a while before the creases come out of the pad
7. Bungalow Flooring Waterhog Indoor/Outdoor Doormat
The bungalow flooring is the only mat we have reviewed that can be used both indoors and outdoors, this added versatility results in a product you can place anywhere and you can be sure that it won’t suffer from any damage as a result. The anti-slip runners on the bottom limits the chances of accidents occurring but it won’t damage your hardwood floor.
This bungalow flooring can hold more water than other products we have reviewed. The rubber dam that is placed around the outside of the mat, makes sure that water stays where it is so that it won’t damage your floor. If you live in a particularly wet area, this is ideal as you won’t suffer from floorboards that rot or lift.
The eco-friendly construction of the mat also results in a product that doesn’t shed and is easy to clean. Constructed from recycled plastic, the mat won’t rot or suffer from mildew and you have no fear of it shedding. It can catch up to 1.5 gallons of water depending on the size of the mat, keeping your house clean and dry.
- Eco friendly construction gives you a mat that doesn’t shed or suffer from mildew
- The rubber damn keeps water, dirt and mud on the mat and not in your house
- Can hold up to 1.5 gallons of water
- Non scratch bottom, so your wooden flooring won’t be scratched from use
- Non slip
- Can be used outside the home as well as inside
- Not machine washable
- Cannot tumble dry
Considerations to make before you buy
Whether you have a busy, bustling home or a quiet home, rugs are always a great addition to hardwood floors. Hardwood floors are expensive, and rugs can drastically increase the life span of them especially in high traffic areas. Before you make the purchase of a rug, you need to consider how it will be used and where it will be placed in your home, will it be for décor or is it going to serve a very particular purpose.
What damages HardWood Flooring?
Hardwood flooring is expensive, but it is harder wearing that soft wood or laminate flooring alternatives, however, it can still be damaged. Excessive amounts of water can permeate the flooring, causing it to warp and even rot. In high traffic areas, you may find that the flooring becomes scratched and the top layer of varnish and even wood begins to wear away, this, coupled with dirt, can damage the flooring further. Rugs and door mats in high traffic areas are an excellent way to not only stop the rest of your house getting dirty, but they can also limit the damage of overuse to the particular area.
If you find that you are forever treading dirt and debris into your house, a doormat may be an excellent option for you. There are a variety of styles that each have the own innovations which can help you limit the damage on your hardwood flooring. If you find that your pets are coming in with perpetually wet feet, look for a natural fibre, plush rug that will wick the water away from their paws and absorb it. These rugs are often machine and dryer friendly, so they are easy to keep clean and dry. The only downside to products such as these as that they aren’t great at dealing with a high volume of mud and grit, so you will find that you may be washing it very often. However, it will protect your hardwood flooring and stop varnish wear.
Heavy duty Doormats
Heavy duty doormats are an excellent addition to a home that is always battling the elements. If you feel you are forever mopping the floor after you’ve come home, look for a heavy duty door mat. These can often absorb far more a water than their plush counterparts and are excellent at dealing with grit, dirt and grime. Some of these door mats even feature a rubber damn around the outside, making sure that they keep the water in the mat itself. Whilst they are excellent at keeping your flooring safe, dry and dirt free, you may find that they are difficult to clean in comparison to ones you can simply pop in the wash.
If you don’t like the idea of door mats in either form, you can look to purchase rugs that can help mitigate the damage on your hardwood flooring. With rugs you have far more choice over the design and colour scheme that you want, however they won’t be as effective when it comes to trapping dirt and grime.
They will still stop excessive wear to your hardwood flooring but you may find that they become stained and damaged easier than the doormat alternative.
Before you make the purchase of a doormat or rug, you need to check how much clearance you have under the door you are going to be putting it near. If you don’t have a lot of clearance, you will want to look for a product with a lower profile to make sure that you can get the door open. If you have a lower clearance, a good suggestion is to look for a more solid doormat with a rubber or latex base, this way the chances of it curling and stopping you from getting into your home are limited. If your door opens outward, this won’t be an issue.
You may find that some of the natural plush rugs do shed, especially when they are brand new. Before you put the mat on the floor, pop it in the wash to get rid of any excess fibres and stop it shedding all over your floor.
Buying a doormat or entry rug can be a decision no one really wants to make, especially when there are so many products available to you on the market. Before you make the purchase, consider the amount of clearance you have in front of your door, to make sure you get a doormat or rug that will fit under it. Once you have decided on that, consider what is you feel you are forever clearing up, this will make choosing a door mat far easier for you! We’ve taken the work out of trying and testing door mats and entry rugs to give you a comprehensive list of the best ones that are available on the market in 2020, embodying an array of styles, designs and innovations to give you the list of the 7 best doormats and rugs for hardwood flooring.